Page
of 3

News Poll World Reset Poll!

24 replies
Votes:
+143
Admin
Spoiler: I really can't figure this out please helpShow

how the fuck do you make a poll nowadays?

This is a mess
Posted Jun 16, 18 · OP · Last edited Jun 16, 18
Votes:
+143
Admin
Should we reset the world
Vote Now! Reset the world with the same map Reset the world with a new map Don't reset the world
Just have a strawpoll
Votes:
+143
Admin
Should we keep our stuff?
Vote Now! Keep our stuff and buildings Don't keep anything
Another one for keeping stuff or not.
Votes:
+56
Banned users
Only certain things should be transferred in the way of lore based items including books and maps, along with maybe some personal gear. This shouldn't just be an argument about everything vs. nothing, it should fall somewhere close to nothing aside from the aforementioned items.
Posted Jun 17, 18 · Last edited Jun 17, 18
List
Undo
wittypotato
wittypotato @ DivinityCraft
Votes:
+24
Contributor
wrote:
Only certain things should be transferred in the way of lore based items including books and maps, along with maybe some personal gear. This shouldn't just be an argument about everything vs. nothing, it should fall somewhere close to nothing aside from the aforementioned items.
I agree

books that people have written and not just spam books should be transferred

Also personal gear i agree with because of things like the items people have gotten from bloodbath event (and im not just saying that bc i have one fuck off)
Posted Jun 17, 18
Votes:
+140
Contributor
wrote:
Is that something you want to take on? Seems like picking items to save would be pretty labor intensive. You may be better off just resetting the world and wiping balances but letting people bring whatever they can carry in their inventory and / or enderchest. Less work for staff that way.

Personally I think if we are going to do this, the primary consideration should be what the staff can most easily achieve with the least amount of work. If that means clean slate so be it.
Posted Jun 17, 18
Votes:
+56
Banned users
wrote:
Is that something you want to take on? Seems like picking items to save would be pretty labor intensive. You may be better off just resetting the world and wiping balances but letting people bring whatever they can carry in their inventory and / or enderchest. Less work for staff that way.

Personally I think if we are going to do this, the primary consideration should be what the staff can most easily achieve with the least amount of work. If that means clean slate so be it.
The "least amount of work" attitude is why we even have to consider this to keep the player count at an acceptable amount for the longevity of the server.
Posted Jun 17, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+103
Untagged users
Honestly I think everyone has made good points concerning what should stay and what should go, and I think the answer could easily be a compromise between a clean slate and the migration of certain rare items.

As Durf stated I think that our primary concern about this reset is what the staff team can perform in a most efficient manner, such is only reasonable. That being said I think that protecting the in game lore of Divinity is also an admirable goal and can be done in a way that is not overbearing so I would like to purpose the following scenarios for a compromise.

=====================================================================================
Solution 1: Plane Jane - Lowest Effort
=====================================================================================
This would be a clean slate with absolutely no items brought over, this would be the easiest option for the staff team.
Solution 2: Inventory/Enderchest scenario - second highest effort
This would be the second easiest option for the staff team, Inventories and or enderchest's are not reset this would allow for players to migrate items they consider to be important int the next world at a minimal cost of energy to the staff team.
The problem with this option in my opinion is that it can completely defeat the purpose of a reset as the system is heavily flawed and attempting to pick and choose what players bring would then turn into an extreme hassle. With shulker boxes and alts factions could move entire fortunes through this system so in my opinion is is barely to be considered an option at all.
Solution 3 Kit Protection - The Highest effort
While this may be the highest effort system in reality it would not be to difficult to implement with help from the players and done in an organized fashion.

The third and final solution I offer is to put a staff member in charge of creating an essentials kit(s) using a lightweight plugin like kitadder that encompass all of the items that should be carried over. On the surface this may seem like a monumental task by the staff team/ staff member however as long as it is planned well it would not be difficult at all:

- Phase 1: A set of collection boxes are setup at spawn or safezone warps where players log in and toss in items like maps, books and bloodbath gear for a staff member to use to make a kit. Any items that do not make it to collection box by the scheduled time will not have their items carried over (which is a risk inactive players take with the second option aswell.) To maximize the efficiency Players will store their items in shulkerboxes named with their IGN

- Phase 2: Once the items are gathered the staff member then makes the kit in game using kit adder (there is honestly no reason to not have this plugin, unless you like manually making essentials kits....) During this step It would be wise to check for items that may not belong and remove them (I'll post some potential guidlines down below) Because players would have stored their items in named shulkerboxes the next part becomes easy.

- Phase 3 distribution: Upon the creation of the new world players will be returned their shulkerboxes as they appear on the server. To make the process more efficient times could be schedualed where the staff member in charge would be online to dish out the gear and after a certain date (lets say a week for example) player who have not retrieved their gear lose the opportunity.

Guidelines for appropriate item migration:
Item is a book that is written/signed by a player, Is a map with unique content on it from the 4th world, is an item of great esteem/ rarity such as bloodbath gear (contributor god gear should be excluded, with the possible exception of gear that is unattainable such as contributor gear of a staff member who may have lost their title.) The item is not "contraband" (Illegal Items such as endportal frames, Barrier Blocks, Giant eggs OR items that do not meet the criteria listed above in this passage.) If a dragon egg is included, be sure that their is only one per a person that is migrated.
Posted Jun 17, 18 · Last edited Jun 17, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+140
Contributor
wrote:
wrote:

The "least amount of work" attitude is why we even have to consider this to keep the player count at an acceptable amount for the longevity of the server.

I dare say it is not an attitude, it is an unfortunate reality. What is it you guys are shooting for here exactly? A bustling new community? What you have here is a dedicated base of veterans who are willing to front the bill to run this bitch and zero outreach to add new players. And for the last week even that has petered off to nothing. I feel I can speak for anyone interested in playing on this server when I say we will take whatever we can get. Reset? No Reset? whatever. Shit or get off the toilet. It is still going to come down to the same group of returning players either way, only with a reset you will get a nice albeit temporary boost in traffic and likely a bump in donations as well. The numbers here are never going to grow beyond what we have seen since our last reset, as it is a virtually closed community. Couple that with the age of this game and I for one say we are damned lucky to have what we got, and it speaks of the strength of the world that roob made that people still care enough to work on and pay for it's continuation.
If you want to bemoan our numbers then why we can't promote this server on sites like minecraft forums? I know as a former staff member that unless there is an immediate bump in numbers any attempt is seen as futile. This is not rational. If you keep the door closed, you know exactly how many people you can expect. If you leave the door open...somebody is bound to walk through it eventually. At our current state even a single new player would make a big impact. Saying our numbers are down because of a least amount of effort attitude is not entirely wrong, but not entirely accurate either. It's not like you guys are inviting anyone else to the party, even though the folks who play it now like it enough to cover our annual financial needs in a few months.
Posted Jun 27, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+56
Banned users
wrote:
wrote:

I dare say it is not an attitude, it is an unfortunate reality. What is it you guys are shooting for here exactly? A bustling new community? What you have here is a dedicated base of veterans who are willing to front the bill to run this bitch and zero outreach to add new players. And for the last week even that has petered off to nothing. I feel I can speak for anyone interested in playing on this server when I say we will take whatever we can get. Reset? No Reset? whatever. Shit or get off the toilet. It is still going to come down to the same group of returning players either way, only with a reset you will get a nice albeit temporary boost in traffic and likely a bump in donations as well. The numbers here are never going to grow beyond what we have seen since our last reset, as it is a virtually closed community. Couple that with the age of this game and I for one say we are damned lucky to have what we got, and it speaks of the strength of the world that roob made that people still care enough to work on and pay for it's continuation.
If you want to bemoan our numbers then why we can't promote this server on sites like minecraft forums? I know as a former staff member that unless there is an immediate bump in numbers any attempt is seen as futile. This is not rational. If you keep the door closed, you know exactly how many people you can expect. If you leave the door open...somebody is bound to walk through it eventually. At our current state even a single new player would make a big impact. Saying our numbers are down because of a least amount of effort attitude is not entirely wrong, but not entirely accurate either. It's not like you guys are inviting anyone else to the party, even though the folks who play it now like it enough to cover our annual financial needs in a few months.
This is a correct assessment. We lack any extra-server networks that would potentially appeal to and intrigue new players enough to bring them on the server. In the server's golden age the server was advertised regularly on a good number of sites, had multiple trailers designed to entice their audience to join, and got spread through the classic word-of-mouth method. I feel like the mentality for the past few years has been "keep what we have." It's good to sustain what we have, but like Durf said, we should also focus on opening the door.

I'm not trying to be all "Blah blah blah sTaFf SucKs maKe a NeW trAilEr RigHt nOW." I just think we need to be honest with ourselves that if this community is ever going to grow past the current circle-jerk again that we need to set certain goals and plans into gradual motion.
Posted Jun 27, 18
List
Undo
Page
of 3
DivinityCraft.org
divinitycraft.org
2 / 30
Today's Record: 11 players (21 hours ago)
Weekly Record: 11 players (21 hours ago)
Monthly Record: 12 players (Nov 10, 18)

Online Players

S
M
T
T
F
S
S
M
Yearly Goal: $450.00
531.12 / 450.00