News Poll World Reset Poll!

24 replies
Votes:
+588
Owner
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
Only certain things should be transferred in the way of lore based items including books and maps, along with maybe some personal gear. This shouldn't just be an argument about everything vs. nothing, it should fall somewhere close to nothing aside from the aforementioned items.
Is that something you want to take on? Seems like picking items to save would be pretty labor intensive. You may be better off just resetting the world and wiping balances but letting people bring whatever they can carry in their inventory and / or enderchest. Less work for staff that way.

Personally I think if we are going to do this, the primary consideration should be what the staff can most easily achieve with the least amount of work. If that means clean slate so be it.
The "least amount of work" attitude is why we even have to consider this to keep the player count at an acceptable amount for the longevity of the server.
I dare say it is not an attitude, it is an unfortunate reality. What is it you guys are shooting for here exactly? A bustling new community? What you have here is a dedicated base of veterans who are willing to front the bill to run this bitch and zero outreach to add new players. And for the last week even that has petered off to nothing. I feel I can speak for anyone interested in playing on this server when I say we will take whatever we can get. Reset? No Reset? whatever. Shit or get off the toilet. It is still going to come down to the same group of returning players either way, only with a reset you will get a nice albeit temporary boost in traffic and likely a bump in donations as well. The numbers here are never going to grow beyond what we have seen since our last reset, as it is a virtually closed community. Couple that with the age of this game and I for one say we are damned lucky to have what we got, and it speaks of the strength of the world that roob made that people still care enough to work on and pay for it's continuation.
If you want to bemoan our numbers then why we can't promote this server on sites like minecraft forums? I know as a former staff member that unless there is an immediate bump in numbers any attempt is seen as futile. This is not rational. If you keep the door closed, you know exactly how many people you can expect. If you leave the door open...somebody is bound to walk through it eventually. At our current state even a single new player would make a big impact. Saying our numbers are down because of a least amount of effort attitude is not entirely wrong, but not entirely accurate either. It's not like you guys are inviting anyone else to the party, even though the folks who play it now like it enough to cover our annual financial needs in a few months.
This is a correct assessment. We lack any extra-server networks that would potentially appeal to and intrigue new players enough to bring them on the server. In the server's golden age the server was advertised regularly on a good number of sites, had multiple trailers designed to entice their audience to join, and got spread through the classic word-of-mouth method. I feel like the mentality for the past few years has been "keep what we have." It's good to sustain what we have, but like Durf said, we should also focus on opening the door.

I'm not trying to be all "Blah blah blah sTaFf SucKs maKe a NeW trAilEr RigHt nOW." I just think we need to be honest with ourselves that if this community is ever going to grow past the current circle-jerk again that we need to set certain goals and plans into gradual motion.
The bastards deleted all our trailers because we had Game of Thrones music in them, if someone wants to make new trailer no problem but we need different music lol.
Posted Jun 27, 18
LilHIV x
Votes:
+12
Banned users
Maybe implement another voting system? Via PMC and shit of that nature. Uploading vids to youtube can only do so much.. It was done originally but it was done sloppily.
Posted Jun 27, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+42
Untagged users
wrote:
Maybe implement another voting system? Via PMC and shit of that nature. Uploading vids to youtube can only do so much.. It was done originally but it was done sloppily.
We tried this at least twice. Didn't work.
Posted Jun 30, 18
LilHIV x
Votes:
+12
Banned users
wrote:
wrote:
We tried this at least twice. Didn't work.

Because it was implemented horribly both times.
Posted Jun 30, 18 · Last edited Jun 30, 18
Votes:
+588
Owner
Pro-voting now sounds like pro-communism "it didn't work all those other attempts because it wasn't real, proper communism, this time it will work!".
Posted Jun 30, 18
Votes:
+103
Untagged users
In the server's current state voting is useless for drawing in players and let me tell you all why that is, here are some verifiable facts, accurate as of June 30th, 2018
Voting SiteDivinity's RankAdditional status information
Minecraftservers.org11,707listed stats: 61% uptime, verison 1.12, host located in Sweden, owner is lorgan, IP is
DivinityCraft.dyndns.org
(votes listed 0)
Minecraft-server-list. comnonecould not be found, even by search
Minecraft-server. netnone(server is not listed)
planetminecraftserver-score 71the game version is listed as being 1.9
minecraftservers. netnonecan not be found
minecraft forumsshutdown (formerly rank 805)The site literally shutdown its server advert section on the 27th of this month
topg.org/minecraftcould not be foundserver could not be found

So what is the problem if it isnt obvious enough already?
- Server advertisement that does exist is painfully outdated, or so low in rank players will never see it despite voting impact (excluding planetminecraft in this respect)
- The server could not be found by players who know about even if they searched for it on the majority of voting sites.

Voting wont correct an absence of advertisement, however the positive side of this horrible situation is that since the old server adverts seem to be expired or completely unfindable it should be possible to recreate the advertisements (and then possibly be seen by players again) this alone would not be enough to draw in the masses but it would atleast be a start.
Posted Jun 30, 18 · Last edited Jun 30, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+56
Banned users
You gotta start somewhere
Posted Jul 1, 18
Votes:
+588
Owner
Yeah fixing up the advertisements is a good low-hanging fruit, especially after they deleted all our trailers.
Posted Jul 1, 18
Votes:
+5
Admin
Skip to paragraph 3, or 4 if you count this as a paragraph, if you don't want to read about voting and advertisements.

Well bringing back voting can't hurt, even if it doesn't even have rewards. Having voting is better than having an average weekly player base of zero - not saying voting will be super amazing and bring thousands of people to the server.

Secondly re-making Youtube videos would help a lot in the future but nothing is going to help immediately, Youtube videos take a LONG time to gain momentum. So we basically have no good options, might as well just try it whether you like it or not.

Some suggestions;
1. Fix spawn so it doesn't rape your fucking eyes, that would be nice
2. It'd also be nice if we had something to help new players know what they're getting into when they join the server - like a general explanation of what the server has to offer instead of SEVEN ESSAYS ABOUT RANDOM SHIT NO ONE WANTS TO READ. - Yes there's the super general signs at spawn I get that.
3. Maybe do some events every once-in-a-while, like that airship event that never happened, or that capture the flag event that never happened, or the tank warfare event that never happened (Just some examples of events that never happened in case you didn't know.) We can all agree that bloodbath event was... better than the average game play on Divinity. Events like the above could spice things up and help emphasize good features Divinity has that no one usually uses - like ships.

But just my opinion and some suggestions;
<3
-Ryan
Posted Jul 3, 18 · Last edited Jul 3, 18
Votes:
+588
Owner
Skip to paragraph 3, or 4 if you count this as a paragraph, if you don't want to read about voting and advertisements.

Well bringing back voting can't hurt, even if it doesn't even have rewards. Having voting is better than having an average weekly player base of zero - not saying voting will be super amazing and bring thousands of people to the server.

Secondly re-making Youtube videos would help a lot in the future but nothing is going to help immediately, Youtube videos take a LONG time to gain momentum. So we basically have no good options, might as well just try it whether you like it or not.
The problem with voting isn't that it only brings in a few newcomers, it's that for the 4-5 attempts we have made with it we have never seen any sign that it has ever brought in even a single newcomer.

Why it doesn't work is simply because we have too few players to bring us to page 1-2 on the voting pages which is where you need to be to be visible to those go visit the voting pages. And no, we are nowhere even near the players needed. Even when we had 40 online every evening we were nowhere near having enough players. We are probably talking about having close to a hundred people online every day before voting works, unless Minecraft has declined massively in popularity, then somewhat less might work.

And it does hurt, it takes time and effort to set these systems up and time and effort of the players to constantly waste time on something pointless. All this time and effort could instead have been spent on things that actually bring in newcomers, like making and bumping threads on big Minecraft forums.

Just like communism, this is a horrible idea that refuses to die. After the first 2 attempts didn't work, I, like any sane person, realized this. The only reason I allowed the attempts after that was because after voting had been removed for some time a voting fananatic would pop up and start nagging for it to be added again and I let them add it just to prove to them that it doesn't work so they would shut up about it.

And they did see the truth every time, but the problem is that new pro-voting people keep popping up so this is like an infinite cycle of pointless voting attempts. If walle wants to add voting again it is within his power but I will not spend a single second on this crap again until Divinity is large enough for it to plausibly work.

As for the trailer its purpose is to be on advertisement pages to make them be more attractive, not pull in newcomers from Youtube.
Posted Jul 3, 18 · Last edited Jul 3, 18
Page
of 3
DivinityCraft.org
divinitycraft.org
5 / 30
Today's Record: 8 players (1 hour ago)
Weekly Record: 11 players (Sun at 20:00)
Monthly Record: 12 players (Nov 15, 18)

Online Players

T
W
T
F
S
S
T
W
Yearly Goal: $450.00
546.11 / 450.00